Varutharacha Chicken Curry is a popular chicken curry from Kerala especially Malabar region. The Roasted coconut along with a lot of spices makes the chicken curry a very traditional in its taste. we are using some whole spices and blended along with coconut which makes our chicken curry very flavourful. We can accompany this curry with Rice, Puttu, Appam, Idiyappam and what not.
This will take some time for the preparation, but trust me the curry tastes heavenly good.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Marinate 2 Kg chicken pieces with 1 Ts turmeric powder, 3 Ts chilli powder, coriander powder 2 Ts, meat masala 1 Ts and salt 2 Ts and marinate well with hands.
- Let it rest for 30 minutes.
- In a thick bottom pan, add 2 cup of grated coconut, 2 Tbs coriander seeds,2 Whole red chillies, 10 cloves garlic, shallots 5 cloves, some curry leaves and 1 ½ Ts peppercorns and roast till golden brown. Add 2 Ts coconut oil in between.
- Grind it into a fine paste by adding little amount of water.
- Heat 3 Tbs coconut oil in a clay pot. Add 1 inch cinnamon stick and saute well.
- Add garlic cloves, shallots, ginger, curry leaves and saute well.
- Add sliced pieces of 2 onions.
- Add salt and saute till the onion become soft.
- Add 4 green chillies and saute well.
- Add 1 sliced tomatoes and combine well.
- Add marinated chicken.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add grinded coconut along with ¾ cup water and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes by stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 Ts pepper powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tbs coconut oil in pan and add chopped shallots,3 Tbs coconut pieces and some curry leaves and fry till golden brown.
- Pour this mix to the curry and mix well.