Unnakaya is a spindle shaped traditional malabar snack which is prepared from steamed and mashed Plantin (Nentran Banana) which is often prepared at weddings and Iftar seasons.
The spongy texture and the coconut sugar filling make the snack melt in your mouth from its first bite.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Boil ripe plantain in a cooker or steamer.
- Cut the banana in to smaller pieces in a blender.
- Grind it in to a smooth paste.
- Transfer this to a bowl.
- Add 2 Ts clarified butter (Ghee).
- Mix well with hands. Adding ghee makes the dough non-sticky.
- Add 2 Ts ghee in a pan and roast cashew nuts and raisins.
- Add ¾ cup shredded coconut and mix well.
- Add 2 Tbs sugar and mix till the sugar dissolves.
- Add ½ Ts cardamom powder and roast till the colour of the coconut slightly changes.
- Grease hands with some oil/ghee.
- Make medium sized balls from the dough.
- Flatten with your palm.
- Put some filling inside and close the edges gently to form spindle shape.
- Make sure that there are no cracks anywhere.
- Deep fry over medium flame in medium hot oil.
- Fry till it turns golden brown.