Squid Roast is very popular dish among sea food lovers. Squid is also called Koonthal / Kanava / Calamari. Squid Roast is very easy to make and is tasty too. Some added coconut pieces make it extra tastier. You can serve Squid Roast with rice, roti or paratha.
Here I tried to make crispy and perfectly seasoned Koonthal roast which is definitely going to wake up your appetite. Let’s take a look at the Squid Roast recipe and step by step process of making delicious Kerala style Squid roast.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Take 400 Gm cleaned squid pieces. You can cut it either as rings or as long slices.
- Add ½ Ts turmeric powder, ½ Ts red chilli powder, ½ Ts salt and mix well. Marinate it at least for 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the squid pieces. Shallow fry till it shrinks slightly and colour changes.
- Remove it from oil and set aside.
- In the same oil, add 10 garlic cloves sliced and saute till we get a nice aroma.
- Add 1 Ts ginger and saute well.
- Add 1 Ts chopped green chilli and 2 string curry leaves. Combine well.
- Add 1 ¼ cup shallots and sayte well.
- Add ½ Ts salt, ½ Ts red chilli powder, ¾ Ts garam masala and saute well.
- Add 1 medium tomato chopped and combine everything.
- Now add 2 Tbs water and mix well.
- Cover and cook over low flame for 5-7 minutes.
- Add fried squid pieces and mix well.
- Add 3 Tbs chopped coconut (optional).
- Add ½ Ts pepper powder and mix well.
- Cover cook again for 5-7 minutes over low flame.
- Finally garnish with some curry leaves.