Christmas Special Plum Cake or Plum Cake is a special Kerala Style Fruit cake recipe with the blend of spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg etc. This cake is very rich with mixed dry fruits and nuts. These yummy cake is usually baked on the occasion of Christmas. In authentic recipe, the dry fruits are soaked in Rum for at least 14 days before baking.
Here I am showing you the no-soaking recipe but trust me there is no compromise with the taste. Also I’ve used the no-oven version.
This recipe will be a real delight for all cake lovers. This will taste better after two days… So wait for two days and enjoy….
Directions0/0 steps made
- For Preparing caramel syrup, heat ¼ cup of sugar with 2 ½ Tbs of water and stir well. Tilt the pan occasionally. Do not use the spatula often. The colour of the caramel syrup will be the cake’s colour, but do not make it too brown, otherwise the cake will taste bitter. Add ¼ cup of water and and mix well. Let it boil in high flame set aside. Cool it completely.
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, one teaspoon baking powder, ¼ Ts baking soda, ¼ Ts cinnamon powder, two pinch cloves powder,2 pinch nutmeg powder, two pinch salt mix well and sieve the dry mix 2 to 3 times. This will make the cake extra soft.
- Take some dry fruits of your choice and two Tbs tutti frutti in a bowl and add 1 Tbs all-purpose flour and mix well. This will prevent the dry fruits settling down only at the bottom of the cake while baking.
- In a mixer jar add two numbers of eggs along with ½ cup sugar along with ¼ cup of oil and ¼ Ts vanilla essence and blend for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mix in a bowl. Pour the prepared caramel syrup and mix well. Add the dry mix in batches and fold and mix. Do not over mix. It will make the cake harder in texture.
- Add the coated dry fruits and nuts and gently mix.
- Brush the cake tin with some butter of oil and line the bottom with butter paper. Add the prepared mix and garnish with cashews and tutti frutti. Tap it thrice to release the air bubbles.
- Meantime preheat the cooker by adding salt at the base of the cooker. Place a small vessel inside the cooker. Make sure you have removed both gasket and the whistle while closing. Preheat for 5 to 7 minutes over medium flame.
- Place the cake tin carefully and bake for 35 to 45 minutes over low flame depending upon the burner you are using. do not open before 30 minutes.
- You can use a toothpick by inserting it into the cake, the clear toothpick indicates that the cake is perfectly baked. Pass a knife through the edges to release the cake from the cake tin.