A must try delicasy of Malabar. Kozhi ada is an authentic and traditional Malabar Iftar snack and most popular during Ramadan time. Kozhi ada snacks will be displayed in most of the food stalls during Ramadan in Malabar region.
Koyiadas are crispy wrappers filled with a spicy and flavorsome chicken filling. It looks very similar to the North Indian sweet snack Gujia. Kozhi ada has a vegan version with coconut and sugar filling flavored with cardamom powder. If you make the filling very dry and crunchy, you can store for a longer period.
So let’s see how to make homemade hot Malabar Kozhi Ada / Chicken pockets / Koyiadas / Chicken Dumplings.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and ginger and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add green chilli and curry leaves and saute for a minute then add chopped onions and saute till the onion becomes soft. Meantime add 1 Ts salt too.
- Add 1 Ts turmeric powder, 1 Ts meat masala and 1 Ts garam masala
- Add minced chicken. (Cook 150 gm chicken pieces with some chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and some salt). After that crush it in a blender. Minced chicken ready).
- Mix very well until everything combined well. Now the filling is ready.
- Add 1 cup of all – purpose flour, semolina and salt and combine well. Add water little by little until we get a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into equal parts. Flatten using a rolling pin.
- Cut it into circle using a glass or a lid.
- Put some filling in each circle. Fold it in semi-circle shape and seal the edges.
- Make a design by pinching and twisting all along the sealed edges.
- Fry it in medium hot oil till golden brown.