Karimeen Pollichathu is a traditional and well- known dish in Kerala. It is a unique preparation with Pearl Spot fish. Pearl Spot fish (Karimeen) is marinated with a blend of rich masala wrapped in banana leaves and then grilled resulting in the juicy tasty and spicy Kerala fish delicacy. This is a top moving dish in many of the star hotels. Even foreigners’ orders and enjoy the taste.
Let’s the step by step process.
Directions0/0 steps made
- In a bowl, add 1 Ts red chilli powder, ½ Ts turmeric powder, 1 Ts pepper powder, 1 Ts salt, ¾ Ts ginger garlic paste, juice of 1 lemon and mix well. Add 1 Tbs oil and mix well to make it a thick paste. Set aside.
- Take 2 medium sized pearl spot fish and make cuts on both sides so that the marinated masala must go very well inside the fish.
- Apply the prepared masala very well on both sides and marinate it for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil for shallow fry. Put some curry leaves in order to get a nice aroma.
- Now add the fish and shallow fry each side for 5 minutes.
- Remove the fish from the oil and set aside.
- In the same oil, add 2 cup shallots chopped and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 green chilli,1 Ts ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes.
- Add some curry leaves, 1 medium tomato chopped and combine well.
- Add 1 Ts red chilli powder, ¼ Ts turmeric powder, ½ Ts coriander powder, ½ ts pepper powder, ½ Ts salt and saute well till the raw smell of the masala powder goes.
- Add 1 Tbs water and mix well. Now cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix well. Masala ready set aside.
- Soften the banana leaves by putting them over the flame. Add a small banana leaf inside also in order to prevent burning.
- Add the shallots masala at the bottom. Place the fried fish and again add some shallots masala on the top.
- Now wrap and tie the banana leaf.
- Heat very less amount of oil (approx. 1 Tbs) in a pan and place the banana wrap in it. Flip them occasionally.
- Cook each side for 5-7 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Cut the wrap and serve hot.