Elanji is a very traditional Malabar snack which are usually served during iftar parties and other festive seasons. You can add this recipe for your kids lunchbox menu as well.
Elanji/ Elanchi has different variations in its name from districts to districts.
Elanji, sweet love letter, Mayyathappam are some of them.
Usually elanji is made with soft crepe/dosa on outer side and a very soft filling inside which is made by roasting cocnut in ghee along with some sugar and cardamom.
For a change, here I am using jaggery instead of sugar and addition of red poha along with coconut and cardamom make this filling unique in taste.
Do try this recipe at home and enjoy this magical taste from this unique recipe.
Directions0/0 steps made
- Melt the jaggery by adding water and boil till it melts completely.
- Sieve once in order to discard the impurities and set aside.
- Heat a pan and add 2 Ts clarified butter.
- Add chopped almonds and raisins and roast well.
- Now add the grated coconut and roast for a minute.
- Add the jaggery syrup and combine well.
- Add the roasted flattened rice and mix everything.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Mix till the jaggery syrup is absorbed completely. Switch off the flame and set aside.
- Add 1 egg, water, all-purpose flour, turmeric powder and salt in a blender and blend for 2 minutes to make a smooth batter.
- Now heat a pan and brush some ghee over that.
- Now pour a ladleful batter and spread it to form a thin Dosa/crepe.
- Cook it for 1 minute. Flip and cook another side just for few seconds.
- Now transfer it to a plate.
- Put 2 Tbs sweet filling on one side of the dosa and roll it tightly.
- Make sure that you are rolling immediately after taking it from the pan to get a perfect roll.